Forums / Cravings / Getting through those cravings!

Getting through those cravings!

4 posts, 0 answered
  1. nadia, quit coach
    nadia, quit coach avatar
    51 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    29 Nov 2017
    Link to this post
    Good Morning Everyone,

For some of you working hard to keep your quit, here are some categories on getting through a craving. I 've also included a couple of examples in each. Hopefully members, you can add some ideas in the categories to help your fellow members in their struggle?

1.Keep your hands busy
      -doodle,sketch, play with  a slinky..

2.Concentrate on other things
      - call a friend, watch a funny movie...

3.Do something that makes it difficult to smoke
      -have a shower, drink orange juice...

Keep strong, try some ideas, add to the list and remember the support is here!
    Nadia
  2. treepeo
    treepeo avatar
    832 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    29 Nov 2017 in reply to nadia, quit coach
    Link to this post
    Hi Nadia,

All great ideas.  I would add have a nap if you can, because you don't crave when you sleep!  And when you wake up, you will feel refreshed and therefore be more able to resist temptation.
  3. lithan44
    lithan44 avatar
    51 posts
    30 Nov 2017
    30 Nov 2017
    Link to this post
    There were times when things were downright ugly!  I would often have fingernail marks embedded in my palms after fighting a craving. I played music very loud. I did a lot of self-talk and played my tape to the end. When I would have a craving and think about having "just one", I’d play the tape to the end. This means that I let myself see the outcome, not just the short-term "pleasure" (which, really it isn't). The end of the tape of me smoking was feelings of shame, grossness and disappointment AND the cravings returned hard and fast. It was about thinking beyond the moment.

I read Allen Carr's The Easy Way to Stop Smoking. This book was pivotal in my quit.  I strongly suggest reading this if you are thinking of quitting or need a tool to help keep your quit. 

Believe in yourself. Always keep your goal in sight and don’t let a craving win. The cravings DO pass, although it may not seem like it. Ride it out and the next one and the one after and so on. It is hard - yep. But you are stronger and more determined than any craving. There will never be a stress-free time in your life that makes it an ideal time to quit. We can do it! You can do it! Believe in Yourself.

4. emily, quit coach
    emily, quit coach avatar
    247 posts
    28 Nov 2017
    01 Dec 2017
    Link to this post
    Good morning,

Thank-you for sharing all of these suggestions. They are wonderful tips and reminders for anyone having a tough time with cravings today (or any day).

Have a great smoke free day everyone,
    Emily

4 posts, 0 answered