12 posts, 0 answered
  1. efram, quit coach
    efram, quit coach avatar
    235 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    14 Jul 2019
    Link to this post
    It all comes down to motivation! 

One of the tools available here on SHL.ca is called "Your Reasons for Quitting." It's on the first page you'll see once you've logged in. Filling out your reasons can help to reinforce them, and there's the option to print those reasons out and keep them as a motivational tool as well. 

Now it's your turn, if you'd like to share: which reasons really resonate?

Are you quitting for your health? Your financial well-being? To be a role model for the kids or grand-kids? Because you can't stand the coughing/hacking? Because you're the only person that you know who's still smoking? To be free from addiction? Because your family's concerned? You don't like the wrinkles or the way smoking makes you smell? Or another reason entirely? 

Thanks for sharing,
    Efram
  2. atp
    atp avatar
    501 posts
    31 Dec 2018
    15 Jul 2019 in reply to efram, quit coach
    Link to this post
    Efram,

I looked at my quit plan from 6 months ago and my reasons were "for my children, for my partner, and I want more energy". I decided to quit over Christmas as a 'bet' with my 19 year old son to get him to quit. So that is how my quit started, was to save my son a life of smoking. A few days into my quit I realized I was doing it for more me at that point.

It wasn't until about 2 weeks into my quit that I actually started to think about life after smoking. I started to be feel better overall, I started to see benefits to not smoking. 6 months later and my reasons for 'staying quit' are now too many to list. 
  3. efram, quit coach
    efram, quit coach avatar
    235 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    16 Jul 2019 in reply to atp
    Link to this post
    Thanks for sharing atp! It's interesting how the reasons can change over time, and how the reasons for staying quit can multiply as the benefits become apparent. 

It can be hard to picture what life will be like after quitting. Thankfully posts here from you and others who've quit can help light the way for those heading up the same path! 
  4. dee28
    dee28 avatar
    1 posts
    30 Jul 2019
    30 Jul 2019
    Link to this post
    I have to quit for health reasons. I have smoked along time and I am afraid I can't do it! I suffer from anxiety disorder so it is a lot harder. I have started to cut down. I have gone from a pack to 14 a day and already finding it difficult.
  5. atp
    atp avatar
    501 posts
    31 Dec 2018
    01 Aug 2019 in reply to dee28
    Link to this post
    Dee28,

Many of us have smoked a long time and we have gone on to quit. I smoked a pack a day for over 30 years and I quit full stop on Jan.01 this year. 
    Cutting down never worked for me, all it did was leave me crawling the walls waiting for the next smoke. It was stressful. 
    What worked for me was changing my thinking. I educated myself on the stages of quitting, the benefits, etc. I decided that it was a positive thing I was doing and no more smoking, ever. I looked forward to the next benefit of quitting (2 days nicotine is out of my system, 3 days breathing starts to improve, etc.). I joined this site, did the Quit Plan, I made it into a positive challenge. I decided this was my new life and all I needed to do was tell the addict in my head that I was in charge. 
    So I quit cold turkey and did it with a positive attitude. What a difference it made. I was looking and thinking about the the good things of quitting, rather than missing smoking (which was slowly killing me). 
    You know one thing I discovered after quitting was how much less stress and anxiety I have now being a non-smoker. I don't sit there worrying about only having 2 smokes in the pack and it's midnight, or rushing to get outside after a movie to have a smoke, etc. 

6. efreeman75
    efreeman75 avatar
    296 posts
    02 Apr 2018
    01 Aug 2019
    Link to this post
    Hi dee28,

If you fear you can't do it, you won't.  You have to believe to succeed.

Like atp mentions, cutting back, and nrt's for that matter, are ineffective for some of us as it only slowly starves the addiction, causing immense stress and physical discomfort.  To quit, you need to land a knock-out punch and get all nicotine out of your system.  You also need to convince yourself that you do not need cigarettes to live.

atp also offers some very insightful thoughts regarding making the decision to quit.  It can be that simple - decide to quit - smoking is not an option.  You are in charge of your actions.

Quitting is so full of benefits, and so worth the short-term pain.  You can do it!
  7. treepeo
    treepeo avatar
    832 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    01 Aug 2019 in reply to atp
    Link to this post
    Hi atp,

You are so right.  There is much less stress when you are a non-smoker.

When I was a smoker, I ALWAYS bought cartons, because I could not bear the thought of ever running low.  In fact, it made me uncomfortable if I happened to open my last pack without my next carton in tow.  Pathetic, eh?

Having said that, smoking caused me plenty of stress.  No matter where I went, my first thought was, "Where and when can I smoke?  Will there be other smokers there?  Will I have to wait until I get home before lighting up?"  I am ashamed to admit this, but when I had dinner with family or friends, I sometimes tuned out of the conversation because I could feel the cravings coming on, and all I could think was, "How can I get away to have a cigarette?"  When I travelled, I stressed like mad about going to the airport, because I knew that once past security, I could not smoke again.  It really caused me a lot of anxiety.  When meeting new people, I would wonder, "Can we have a smoke together, or is he or she going to shun me for being a smoker?"  I worried about having bad breath, about my clothes smelling of smoke, or whether people would notice my nicotine stained fingers.  And the list goes on.

Now, I don't have to worry about any of that stuff.  All of that stress and anxiety is gone.  And it has been replaced by feelings of accomplishment and self-worth.  I wouldn't give that up for anything.
  8. atp
    atp avatar
    501 posts
    31 Dec 2018
    02 Aug 2019 in reply to treepeo
    Link to this post
    Treepeo,

You are so right. Reading what you wrote, it could have been me writing those exact same words. 

The last couple of years I became aware of how few people smoked, now being a non-smoker and walking past the few smokers huddling by doorways kind of looks sad to me.

The freedom of being a non-smoker is one thing I did not consider or really understand before I quit, and today it is probably the main reason to keep my quit. I bet most former smokers probably think the same. 

The other thing is how much more attuned to my own health I've become. Watching the types of foods I eat (yes, I gained like 20 lbs after quitting - but those chips and nuts tasted so good and helped keep the cravings in check, lol), going to the doctor, etc. 
  9. efram, quit coach
    efram, quit coach avatar
    235 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    25 Aug 2019
    Link to this post
    Thanks for your thoughtful replies, one and all!

Dee28, good to hear that you're making some changes, cutting down! I hope you've managed to keep making progress. About the anxiety disorder: if you haven't done so yet, I'd like to suggest looping your mental health professional in as a support person. Although it can take longer to quit by cutting down compared to going cold turkey, I'm thinking that for someone with anxiety, it may give you some extra time to adjust mentally and physically to take it slow. You said that you're quitting for health reasons, so hopefully you're noticing health benefits already!

Treepeo and atp, it's nice to hear that you're noticing some unanticipated benefits from quitting! Freedom!

Efreeman75, you speak of making the decision to quit. You're right, at the heart of it, it all comes down to making that choice for yourself -- the rest is all follow-through!

For those who have made the decision already, a follow-up question: do you remember the moment that something clicked and you decided to quit? And if so, what were your thoughts?

Regards,
    Efram
    Last modified on 25 Aug 2019 20:31 by efram, quit coach
  10. ocean
    ocean avatar
    286 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    27 Aug 2019 in reply to atp
    Link to this post
    Thank you ATP.  I'm coming back on another quit, and my circumstances have changed since.  I'm nervous and overwhelmed temporarily, just the fear of trying again.  But you are right about changing my thinking.  I registered for strength training, yoga, and pottery classes to help keep me calm and distracted through the dinner hour as I transition away from work.  I'll also be taking pottery classes every Saturday morning, so it keeps it fun .  As I'm taking away the smoking, I'm replacing it with fun activities that I look forward to.  Thanks again, Ocean
  11. atp
    atp avatar
    501 posts
    31 Dec 2018
    28 Aug 2019 in reply to ocean
    Link to this post
    Ocean,

Woohoo, congrats on getting back to your quit! 

I think most of us who have tried to quit were nervous, overwhelmed, scared, or anxious - that's natural. 

One thing I can tell from what you wrote is that you are sounding ready to quit. You are looking to change your lifestyle and that is a huge plus. Motivation is the most powerful quit tool we have.  Keep yourself grounded by looking at the good things that will come with quitting.

We're all here to help and offer support or ideas. BTW- a couple of your responses to my posts back when I was starting my quit really helped me keep going, so thank you!

12. brieffree
    brieffree avatar
    1477 posts
    28 Nov 2017
    28 Aug 2019
    Link to this post
    Hi Ocean

Welcome back, good luck this time, I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT AGAIN!

One day at the time!
12 posts, 0 answered