43 posts, 1 answered
  1. efram, quit coach
    efram, quit coach avatar
    235 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    11 Nov 2019
    Link to this post
    Hi Kit,

You have shown such tremendous perseverance, staying smoke-free through challenging days at work, cravings, withdrawals, you name it! Congratulations.

It's normal to miss smoking, especially early on. Hopefully with the crappy TV, the patch, the 4Ds, and your cinnamon sticks to "smoke," you were able to stay strong. Like treepeo says, it will get easier.

And I also really like what you posted last week: "I ... am really trying to think of all I am gaining by not smoking. A whole different way of thinking- a better way of thinking." If you feel like you're missing smoking and are again thinking of that "huge hole that smoking seemed to fill," it might help to step away from the hole (so you don't fall in) and think more about all the gains starting to pile up!
  2. kit
    kit avatar
    91 posts
    18 Apr 2019
    11 Nov 2019 in reply to treepeo
    Link to this post
    Hi treepeo,
    Thank you for your support ! I really "get" what you mean when you say its hard to know what  to do with ones self. Sometimes a glass of water or a walk just doesnt cut it. Distraction is best for me. Watched more crappy TV shows in the last week then I have ever watched. i try to remember when I quit for multiple years and after 6 months ( I think) I rarely thought of smoking. And if I did- I did not have any desire to smoke. Yes- keep on trucking- those days of not thinking about it will come! Thanks treepeo !
  3. kit
    kit avatar
    91 posts
    18 Apr 2019
    11 Nov 2019 in reply to efram, quit coach
    Link to this post
    Hi Efram,
    Thank you for your support! Yes- one day at a time. But have the crappy TV shows- the patch-the 4Ds and my cinnamon sticks it seems to be going ok. Seven days today. Best thing is I never have to buy new cinnamon sticks! 
    THANK YOU !
  4. kit
    kit avatar
    91 posts
    18 Apr 2019
    11 Nov 2019 in reply to efram, quit coach
    Link to this post
    As well- think your right about that BIG HOLE cigarettes seemed to fill. I think its best right now to stay away from that hole! Thanks- Kit
  5. efram, quit coach
    efram, quit coach avatar
    235 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    11 Nov 2019 in reply to kit
    Link to this post
    You're welcome, kit! And I like what you said about putting thought into what smoking was "covering up." Sounds like an excellent growth opportunity!

Congrats on SEVEN days!!!
  6. treepeo
    treepeo avatar
    832 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    11 Nov 2019
    Link to this post
    Hi kit,

7 days smoke free - WOOHOO!!!  Way to go!  That is truly awesome!

You've already saved some bucks by not buying cigarettes.  Why not give yourself a little treat to celebrate?  My local market has some perfect, juicy oranges, but they are expensive.  But I tell myself, hey, I'm not wasting my money on cigs, so it's totally worth it to spend some dough on great fruit.  Think of something that you would like but might hesitate to buy because of the price.  Then remember what you are saving, or not wasting on those poisonous sticks, and treat yourself.  You deserve it!

7. justfortoday
    justfortoday avatar
    168 posts
    12 Aug 2019
    11 Nov 2019 in reply to kit
    Link to this post
    Look at you go!!!

You are doing everything right ... you aren't just "trying" to quit, you are "working" your quit. And that's empowerment right there!

You have what it takes, kit, so just keep going!
  8. kit
    kit avatar
    91 posts
    18 Apr 2019
    12 Nov 2019 in reply to treepeo
    Link to this post
    Hi treepeo-
    Off to work with my cinnamon sticks- patch-coffee and the 4Ds always in my brain! I keep hearing you in my head saying " keep trucking along" THANK YOU- it helps!
    HAVE A GOOD DAY !!! KIT
  9. kit
    kit avatar
    91 posts
    18 Apr 2019
    12 Nov 2019
    Link to this post
    Hi- I have been smoke free for 8 days now. In the last couple of days I have completely LOST MY VOICE !  I do not ever remember loosing my voice ( unless I had a cold ) when I was smoking ?
    I use my voice at work for 8 hours straight- only a couple of breaks. I can not work if I have no voice or what sounds like a serious case of laryngitis. Has anyone experienced this ?? Feeling worried.Heard that as the chemicals leave my body mucus can build up on vocal chords- or something like that? Just wondering if anyone experienced this?? 
    Thanks- Kit
  10. kit
    kit avatar
    91 posts
    18 Apr 2019
    12 Nov 2019 in reply to efram, quit coach
    Link to this post
    HI Efram,
    I posted this but am  re posting as I am really concerned and anxious about this. I have completely  LOST MY VOICE - this is  day 8 of being smoke free. It is effecting my voice - which effects my work.  I have to use  my voice constantly for 8 hours straight some times at work. Is this common- have you heard of this happening to others?
    Thanks-Kit
  11. treepeo
    treepeo avatar
    832 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    12 Nov 2019
    Link to this post
    Hi kit,

I never heard of that before.  I can't see how stopping smoking could make you lose your voice.  My guess is that the two are completely unrelated.  I do know that there is a lot of illness going around right now.  I, myself am just getting over bronchitis and a cold, and it seems everyone I talk to has been or is currently sick.  So maybe you picked up something from someone else, or from touching something.  Or maybe you were just yakking too much!  LOL

Congrats on 8 smoke free days!

12. treepeo
    treepeo avatar
    832 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    12 Nov 2019
    Link to this post
    Kit, I forgot the most important thing.  That is, my voice actually got stronger when I quit smoking, because I had more breath and could therefore speak louder.  That was unexpected and very welcome.
  13. kit
    kit avatar
    91 posts
    18 Apr 2019
    13 Nov 2019 in reply to treepeo
    Link to this post
    Thanks treepeo. I know lots of illness going around- and I work where lots of illness-its just a weird sound and have gone into anxiety mode thinking i have cancer in my voice box- spread from Breast I know sounds nuts- just feel on edge as of late. I dropped the patch from Step 1-Step 2. It is really helping- but to strong! Im sure the voice thing will work it self out. I imagine my entire body is going through changes(huge changes) Thanks for replying!
    HAVE A GREAT DAY treepeo!!!
    Thanks- Kit
43 posts, 1 answered