Cravings still happen

3 posts, 0 answered
  1. chartippybum
    chartippybum avatar
    83 posts
    21 Mar 2018
    27 Jan 2020
    Link to this post
    Cravings still happen. I've been smoke free since March 2018 so I guess 2 years. Today a smoker asked me how I quit and it took me  aback because I haven't thought about quitting for a long time. It was kinda a trigger for me. I've been having a hard time in life right now, just with little things. But I just got hit with a craving. I guess the best thing to do is congratulate myself for 2 years and I need a plan to deal with cravings. The good old 4 d's. I have a plan to go on a mini shopping spree to distract and award myself if the cravings get too bad. But should I try to use a nrt to curb the cravings is this a good idea since I have been nicotine free for 1 year ( after using patches for 1 year after quitting ) ? 
  2. emily, quit coach
    emily, quit coach avatar
    247 posts
    28 Nov 2017
    28 Jan 2020
    Link to this post
    Hi Chartippybum,

Huge congratulations to you for 2 years of being smoke free!!

The cravings really can come out of no where sometimes. You've jumped into action by thinking of ways to manage the cravings, keep yourself distracted, and reward yourself for all of the hard work you have done over the past 2 years. 

When it comes to NRT they are there to help you reduce cravings and remain tobacco free. I know that you have been 1 year free of nicotine so it may be advised to try all of other strategies first and if nothing is working then consider speaking with your pharmacist about if NRT would be right for you in this time. When it comes down to it, it is much safer for you to use a nicotine product than to return to smoking. 

Wishing you all the best in your quit journey,
    Emily
  3. wandam
    wandam avatar
    241 posts
    05 Feb 2019
    11 Feb 2020
    Link to this post
    Thanks Chartippybum for sharing how one can still struggle after being quit for a such a long time. Awesome job in maintaining your quit through your cravings. Keep up the Great Work!
3 posts, 0 answered