Forums / My journey / Shazzan's Way to Freedom and Leaving as a Happy Non-Smoker in Less Than 2 Weeks

Shazzan's Way to Freedom and Leaving as a Happy Non-Smoker in Less Than 2 Weeks

19 posts, 0 answered
  1. shazzan
    shazzan avatar
    140 posts
    06 Nov 2018
    14 Nov 2018
    Link to this post
    Hi. I am new here , but do have an interesting tale to tell. I have tried to support others here and to post relevant comments but do tend to get long winded and off topic at times. Hence , I have been advised to create my own blog. I am just sooo excited to be SMOKE FREE IN LESS THAN 2 WEEKS!

I am more than willing to share my experience with others in hopes that it will help them to achieve their freedom as well. 

I am not that computer savvy and not sure if i can copy and paste my posts all here as a collection. However i will give it my best shot! 
  2. shazzan
    shazzan avatar
    140 posts
    06 Nov 2018
    14 Nov 2018 in reply to shazzan
    Link to this post
     still attribute my quit to an accidental diet and lung cleanse. I no longer require it to curb cravings. Instead i incorporate the ingredients into my nutrition to maintain their benefits daily.  I truly do believe that the cravings after the nicotine is out of your body are all in the mind.  If you truly wish to never smoke again, theoretically , you should not have a desire to smoke and hence no cravings.   If you secretly "desire "  it even subconsciously,   your subconscious will undermine you.   Most is caused by fear of how to deal with stress without a cigarette in your hand.  What stress do you have?. Write them down. Most of us will find that the stresses we face are about quilt for smoking, worrying about the effects on our health, pressure from doctors and family to quit. So when we quit, we eliminate all that stress.  We no longer require the cigarette as a crutch.. Replace the "habit" with a positive one, knitting, playing and instrument, juggling,  writing, crosswords, exercise etc... and never look back. 

Ok. looks like i can copy and paste. I hope i can put my posted comments and thoughts in an order that you can understand. 
  3. shazzan
    shazzan avatar
    140 posts
    06 Nov 2018
    Link to this post

Last modified on 14 Nov 2018 15:35 by shazzan
  4. shazzan
    shazzan avatar
    140 posts
    06 Nov 2018
    Link to this post
    Edit post
    5 days and 3 hours ago     HOW I QUIT IN LESS THAN 2 WEEKS
    Link to this post
    I hadn't planned on quitting, just wanted to eat healthier so i went on the Mediterranean diet, which is a way of eating, rather than a diet. While researching the best foods, i came across this lung detox. Two weeks ago i found this lung detox made of natural ingredients, onions, turmeric and ginger root. An easy to make recipe that lasted me 11 days. Meanwhile,  I wanted to cut out a few cigarettes by simply having to get off my duff to get them. I smoked my way up to about 30 /day over 40 years. Cut down to 25 this way over a week  On the 8th day i got up and didn't reach for a cigarette first thing, didn't feel the need, so i put it off as long as i could. That day i got down to 3 (6X0.5) cigarettes. The next day i had five and the following day i had 4. That morning i had two drags and felt such a nicotine rush that i put it down.That meant there was very little nicotine left in my system and now was the time to act.... why prolong it?  This is challenge enough getting this far, but not uncomfortable. I did not  realize that it was the ginger that prevents nausea, onions antioxidants, and the curcumin in turmeric combined curbed cravings. (recipe is on line to google). I also add honey to the shot glass i use to take it. (did not add the sugar as i am trying to cut refined foods)  Drinking water helps to flush toxins out , so  I drank plenty during this time. Ate three nutritious meals of whole foods, not sugar and processed, and ate snacks like apple slices with cinnamon, frozen pineapple. dark 80% chocolate square as a reward. I am not a dessert eater, but i made a very healthy carrot cake with walnuts, no sugar or oil, just substituted an apple . This recipe had you cook down the raw ingredients and then add the flour etc to bake. Dense but so moist and delicious. I gnawed on frozen pieces to pass some cravings.  

I do hate to see so many struggling and hope some of these ideas may help new comers. Of course no two bodies are the same and if you have medical issues you should consult your doctor. This worked for me. Now for the part of mind over  matter. . the psychological cravings ... but i am nicotine free
  5. shazzan
    shazzan avatar
    140 posts
    06 Nov 2018
    Link to this post
    i WATCHED THE CBQ method of cessation which is pretty much how i quit ( i hadn't seen it) 

I have every reason to believe that your next quit will be successful. Why? Because you WANT to quit.  Your past quit gave you the tools to do so again. I have many posts that may be of help. I am on Day 6 , cold turkey , past the stage of nicotine withdraw which is the hardest to get through, I have no cravings because i truly WANT  to quit. The cigarette no longer beacons to me. A few things helped:

1) support and techniques learned here the 4 D's  Learn them, Do them!

2) Lung detox...(not as scary as it may sound and easy to do)  i find out the ginger and turmeric helps cravings (so much so that i quit without even intending to) and as well as its many health benefits, also suppresses hunger.  ( find it on line, but ask a doctor if on meds)   I am  taking the ingredients in separate meals  now    Ginger and Turmeric are two spices in Curry powder, honey and water, fried onions... sounds scary eh?    ( the mixture lasts for 10 days, 2 TB morning and 2 Tbs. again at night before bed)

3) CBQ cessation seminar (on line for free, and a second free webinar before they ask for money. I pretty much did their course, on my own before even knowing about it.  A must do to gain knowledge and more tools to quit.  

4) A member mentioned Dopamine and Eagerquit replyed with  a program on Netflix which explained it well.  Bill Nye's Saves the World. Season 3 episode 3 about Addiction. Thanks again for that tip Eagerquit.

6. shazzan
    shazzan avatar
    140 posts
    06 Nov 2018
    Link to this post
    Edit post
    1 day and 1 hour ago in reply to emily, quit coach     LIVING WITH A SMOKER
    Link to this post
    Hi Coach and Fellow supporters

My spouse still smokes right beside me and it doesn't bother me. I have decided to QUIT. and that is exactly what i mean, not try, not hold out , not do my best to .   I Quit,      just like quitting a job (lol, and i did that too) never going back. There are reason for why you feel the way you do. There are reasons why you have come this far. But unless you are true to yourself, that you really WANT this for yourself then you only keep these urges or cravings alive. Maybe the smell with bother me later as i regain my sense of smell, or perhaps the smoke stinging my eyes, but the cigarette no longer has the power to beacon me . I am on Day 6 smoke free. cold-turkey. Maybe i will want fresh air to breathe and ask for him to go outside to smoke. I am free, no longer have to endure the cold, worry how i smell, spend my money on something endangering my very life , when i could spend that on healthy activities. (go out dancing more often, go bowling, curling, walk down or ride my bike to the seniors meeting place and afford  pay to play cards, lawn bowl, shuffle board,  line-dance or learn a craft or woodworking, ceramics, art ) You will notice i didn't say spend more on healthy food, because eating healthy doesn't mean spending more, it just means choosing wisely.  

I WANT  to help others achieve their goal  of becoming non-smokers. I won't wish them luck... I wish i could quit smoking is NOT the same as i WANT to quit smoking. Please take the time to read some of my posts out there. Attend the 2 free seminars/webnar by CBQ method of cessation. Understand yourself. Make the commitment.  Shed the Fear. (You do not need to buy their product at the end, just use the knowledge you gain. It will be well worth the couple hours.) Don't do this for me. Do it for YOU! 
  7. shazzan
    shazzan avatar
    140 posts
    06 Nov 2018
    Link to this post
    Congrats for making the right choice and quitting. I am proud to say i have been a non-smoker for 6 days now and never going back !   

Many people WISH they could quit smoking, but like myself delay it  because we don't think we can break the addition.   It is like wishing to win a lottery, but do you actually believe you will win it? You are here for support in that belief and to confirm that it CAN be done. After watching  the CBQ webinar  on line for  free,  it confirmed what i am about to tell you. 

There are steps in quitting smoking and the first one, is equally as important as the other 3 steps. You have to WANT  to quit.  Now even if you have some little doubts and do what she asks you to do during the free part of the webinar, you will come to shed those doubts. 

Now, i have to tell you here that i was 4 days smoke free (cold turkey) and had done pretty much the same thing as what she was saying on this webinar. I would strongly advise anyone to at least take a look at it. I signed up for the second free one as well, and though i found it mostly repetitive i would again advise you to watch it. (yes she offers you a course, step by step for a cost) I do not know what all is involved, but if you are self motivated, you will figure it out for yourself. The 4 steps are really all you need. See, i am not trying to sell you anything here.  I have to admit that I quit without meaning to after taking a lung cleanse of turmeric, ginger, honey, onion and water. All the ingredients are healthy and now that i have quit smoking, i found found ways to incorporate these into my diet (soup, sandwich, curry , tea)  You can find this on line and again i make nothing. The recipes on line are all the same. I took 2 tablespoons first thing in the morning and 2 Tablespoons before bed. Please research the ingredients and /or ask your doctor if these are safe for you and your medications. 

I started eating healthier foods and wanted to cut down on the smoking so i did so by putting them across the room. Got the additional bonus of some exercise by being forced to get off my butt. and also the delay and distract practice.  7 days later i am down 5 lbs. Not only down 5 lbs, but something curious happened.

On the 8th day, a Monday morning i got up, put the kettle on for coffee and sat down in my lounge to play poker on line when i realized i didn't really want a cigarette just yet.   So i put it off (delay and distract) . Two hours later i had half of one, standing up in the bathroom.  It took discipline, but i only had 3 full cigarettes that day. Tuesday i had confidence that i could quit so joined this site for addition support and advice. That day i had 5. ( I was a 43 yr. smoker up to 28 or more a day. ) So I had taken another huge step towards achieving my goal. Wednesday morning i got up and resisted the urge for two hours, took 2 drags and got such a nicotine rush i had to put it out. (smoked only 3 that day) . That meant that there was very little nicotine left in my body which would mean less sever urges and less frequent. . (no matter what method you choose, you can't get around this one... withdrawl  FROM NICOTINE is one you will have to face sooner or later to some degree)  That is the only withdrawl and  that lasts about 3 days.

Thursday morning i got up and decided to QUIT.  Quit right there and then. Why wait for my quit date in 7 days and continue on like this. I doubt i could get down to just 1, and even if i did, so what? I was ready and i WANTED to QUIT. 

My lung cleanse is getting low now and i try to find the site to get recipe and i get a similar site (same recipe) saying how it helps to reduce nicotine cravings. Ginger and turmeric had properties that  CURBED NICOTINE CRAVINGS. Its no wonder I seemingly had less of a battle than most people.  I didn't gain weight either, because i was eating healthy and the ginger and or turmeric suppressed appetite.  Of course i was keeping busy too.( no exercise, although i should) .. researching the best foods for health. (not weight loss) I had my support team. I told my parents that i quit (after years of pushing) My spouse and daughter are now giving thought to quitting as well.  Even more rewards than i had hoped for. 

So that is how i came to quit. The  CBQ is a must watch. She says you must do the steps in order, and  i see how it would be easier, but for those of you with NRT's or haven't done the steps I still think you would gain valuable information.  I know that even though i had gotten through the hardest part of nicotine withdrawl (with help from my tonic) which only lasts for 3 days, i still had those urges. After watching the webinar i no longer do. I did not buy her product, but i do believe in it.    I don't like that someone SELLS  a cure, but if it saves lives.... 

I did not buy her product, so i do not know all she advises during the 4 steps. There were some exercises, but not sure if any ways to reduce cravings of the nicotine itself. Urges after that are just in your head. As they explain, we go 8 hours to sleep without the nicotine waking us , why is it so hard while we are awake?  For example:  Doctors prescribe medications to address the symptoms, but not necessarily the cause. The problem is still there. Let's fix the real problem. 

MY THOUGHTS

Your best decision is /was/has been or will be TO QUIT. 
    Next was your wise decision in joining this group and learning. The 4 D's are vital. Know them and learn them, and do them!
    Your next move is to learn the 4 C's... pretty much the same as the 4 D's But CBQ program addresses the psychological mindset.  Even i found this very calming. And knowledge is POWER. 

In conclusion, you have been motivated enough to have read this long (i don't know what it is, except that i so want you and others to all succeed as i have. ) I don't want jealousy , or thanks , or praise and i certainly don't want your money....and i won't wish you luck.. Quitting smoking has absolutely nothing to do with luck. I WANT  you all to better your lives by doing everything in your power to quit and keep the quit. 

lol...SPYING ON THE OTHER CAMP

Today i am      on my  7th DAY smoke free... midnight is the first week milestone. To date I have posted some pertinent information to what i feel was a fast, pretty painless quit. I tried once or twice many, many years ago to quit . I have not seen the CBQ cessation method before. Even though i did not buy their product, they have sent me more video to watch (luring me in for the quit) I will watch because i do believe knowledge is power.  I will share what i learn with you. 

Until then, keep the beast down and enjoy another smoke free day!

8. shazzan
    shazzan avatar
    140 posts
    06 Nov 2018
    15 Nov 2018 in reply to shazzan
    Link to this post
    So I have made it to Day 7 without relapsing into the pit. Today i do fee free. I hope it is not premature. To make sure that i don't ever smoke again, i am reading Allan Carr's book  The Only Way to  Stop Smoking Permanently.    I started it last night and can't put it down.  My Spouse brought it home to read... and quit the vile drug of nicotine too.   Halfway through the book and i am feeling more hopeful that not only can i be smoke and nicotine free, but free of any  psychological hold .... no more urges. EVER.   Nicotine has fooled ,poisoned,  pacified , altered our minds, made us despise our selves, ruined our bank accounts, our dreams, and our health. I refuse to leave  it any hold over me.        . 

I have much to be thankful for.   Amazing Grace says so much.    Once was blind, but now i see......Amen
  9. marianne, quit coach
    marianne, quit coach avatar
    278 posts
    30 Nov 2017
    15 Nov 2018 in reply to shazzan
    Link to this post
    Congratulations Shazzan for keeping the quit- day 7!   And to have so much to be grateful for is truly amazing!  Hope you treat yourself in some special way for all your hard work.  

All the best in the week to come. 

Marianne
  10. shazzan
    shazzan avatar
    140 posts
    06 Nov 2018
    16 Nov 2018 in reply to marianne, quit coach
    Link to this post
    Thanks marianne

Truly , no reward could be greater than the the reward of freedom. 

I do have a question that i hope one of the coaches, or even a member may be able to answer. 
    As i am reading Allan Carr's book The only way to Stop Smoking Permanently  now that i have already quit,  where as  people are supposed to read the book while smoking, and at the end take their last cigarette with no remorse and no urges ever. (maybe 5 days nicotine urges, barely perceptible )  He shows how the mind has been altered by the nicotine as to give smokers a different perspective, or delusion. and by understanding, be free of subsequent urges. . Am i to take that celebratory last cigarette ? (I cut back cigarettes just before this quit, and what i draw from reading is  "made the cigarette all the more precious".   uuggghh nasty , vile, destuctive poison. 

I an half way through the book ( i can't put it down!)  but am afraid to proceed any further . Do i have to be smoking for it to work?  

Advice urgently required, thanks!
  11. shazzan
    shazzan avatar
    140 posts
    06 Nov 2018
    16 Nov 2018 in reply to shazzan
    Link to this post
    CAN WE RID THE URGES?

Urges are tiresome and wearisome. If you are nicotine free then you are past the most persistent urges.  Nicotine withdrawal is 20%, the other 80 % is in your mind. It only remains because you allow it to . Understand that the nicotine sabotaged your brain to allow its survival. Why else do you keep smoking something so awful tasting, why can't you just put it down when you know it will kill you if you don't? Why do smokers say they enjoy smoking, we don;'t even recall smoking most of them!  If you believe just how wonderful or bodies and the brain is, all the functions they do endlessly. Believe that the nicotine  hi-jacked the brains dopamine because we allowed it to  We need to uncondition what we did. I don't know if just BELIEVING  what i am telling you will help, but it sure can't hurt. !  
    Last modified on 16 Nov 2018 15:43 by shazzan
  12. shazzan
    shazzan avatar
    140 posts
    06 Nov 2018
    Link to this post
    I AM SO    NOT MISSING   THE FRIEND 

I am sure we all feel (or felt) a little sadness at ending a long time relationship. May i take the time to correct you to the absolute truth regarding friendship. Or to get to the point, lets review what a friend isn't or doesn't do:

A friend isn't constantly  working against your desire to  quit
    I friend doesn't give the illusion of giving help while the whole time sabotaging your efforts
    A friend doesn't get you hooked and literally choke you to death
    Your friend is a  controlling sneaky entity that alters your very brain making you believe that you need him to reduce your stress, increase your concentration while in fact the very opposite is true
    Our so called friend was the origin of our stress, cravings , slavery, and health problems
    Magically he alters the brain to think the cigarette tastes good when we know (and have known since the beginning when we started that it is awful tasting)
    This friend makes us lie bold faced to true friends and even to ourselves, that we enjoy smoking, that we can quit any time we want to , Then our friend goes om  to hook other souls who believe that we speak the truth or why would be smoke such a vile thing, pay good money for it and risk our lives?
    Your friend has made you into an addict... but you could never admit that to anyone... not even yourself
    The so called friend has made you delusional and controls you 
    And your friend is going to fight to stay on the top to do so

Sorry to be so harsh on your friend, but if you truly want to quit smoking you first need to face the truth. Most importantly you need to WANT to quit for YOU.    I sincerely hope the hard facts may enable you to do that now. Denounce your monstrous friend once and for all. Win your Freedom back. It feels so good.

13. emily, quit coach
    emily, quit coach avatar
    247 posts
    28 Nov 2017
    16 Nov 2018
    Link to this post
    Hi Shazzan,

I'm afraid this is a difficult question to answer when it comes to the celebratory last cigarette. I know that this is something that was mentioned in the Allan Carr book that you read, but i believe each persons quit is different. This is something that you will need to answer for yourself. 

Do you feel this will help you move forward with your quit and say goodbye?

I am happy to hear that you've found something that has been helpful for you and been able to provide so much information. 

Look forward to hearing about your journey, 
    Emily 
  14. shazzan
    shazzan avatar
    140 posts
    06 Nov 2018
    16 Nov 2018 in reply to emily, quit coach
    Link to this post
    Question answered about Allan Carr's  quit method.

Thanks for researching for the answer to the best of your ability Coach Marianne.. I read on and he specifically mentions that ex-smokers can achieve the state of mind to become Happy non-smokers.So i can now continue to read on. I doubt whether i will have to have that cigarette since the whole exercise is to let go of our illusions.  Which i have and think is why i have been so successful. I intuitively did things right and have the right mind set and have quit. Once that is achieved we just have to actually BE happy that we are non-smokers, and I am.... not only very happy but truly blessed to be one. 

NOPE  NOT EVER. Do not even desire it for a fleeting moment. Be happy you are a non-smoker to truly be free.
    Last modified on 16 Nov 2018 21:11 by shazzan
  15. shazzan
    shazzan avatar
    140 posts
    06 Nov 2018
    Link to this post
    I have decided that anyone really interested in the CBQ method has the same tools as i , can watch and receive the information i have if they wish to investigate. There is no need for me to explain it. Who knows how long they will keep sending me more video and method info.  Hope this info will help someone.   Right now i am into reading Allan Carr's Book to become a Happy Non-Smoker, a state of mind that gives you true freedom from the aftermath of nicotine addiction. May you soon all discover your way to smoke-free bliss.
  16. shazzan
    shazzan avatar
    140 posts
    06 Nov 2018
    17 Nov 2018 in reply to shazzan
    Link to this post
                              GET UNBRAINWASHED AND UNDERSTAND YOUR CRAVINGS

I do believe psychology is the key to  quitting for good .  Until we stop craving, because we feel deprived of what we THOUGHT the cigarette was doing for us, it makes it hard to stay quit. Until we can know for sure that we really are free, we have doubt, and hence don't achieve the true freedom.  (that is what i was experiencing when i asked if i had to have another cigarette to complete the ritual in Allen Carr's book. I didn't want to jeopardize the procedure to become a Happy Non-Smoker...... because i had one little doubt) 

When you finally understand that smoking did absolutely nothing for you. Nicotine in fact hi-jacked your brain, and  is definitely not a friend. Can you decisively WANT to quit. permanently, and be a Happy Non Smoker because you will not feel deprived (why would you crave for something you no longer want, that was in fact an illusion that cost your money and health)
    .Now I  do not know anything about psychology but I,  as have many others , have quit smoking. But are they Happy? Do they still crave?  Are cravings making them miserable?  A craving starts every time you put out a cigarette. (nicotine) Are they afraid they will start again and just start the vicious cycle all over again, only to  despising themselves for succumbing.and further destroy their health. 

My quit was relatively easy   i think because i wanted to , i believed i could and would. And did! I may have had fleeting nano-seconds of an urge once in a while once past the nicotine withdrawal. but no desire to smoke.  I read Allan Carr's book just to reinforce my quit..... but anyone who still has cravings really needs to read it too. (as well as any nicotine user)

Open your minds and be free!
    Last modified on 17 Nov 2018 12:16 by shazzan
  17. shazzan
    shazzan avatar
    140 posts
    06 Nov 2018
    17 Nov 2018 in reply to shazzan
    Link to this post
    Quitting is not easy. There is no magic potion or pill and like you said, if there were,  there would be few smokers left in the world.      So i take it that if we all here agree to that statement, then Most smokers DO  actually agree that cigarettes taste awful?  Did you have to force a lungful and hope not to gag or throw up?

But,  how do we banish the cravings that are in our head? First you have to banish the desire of wanting a cigarette. Yes you can avoid other smokers (some are your friends) and deprive yourself not only of smoking but a social life as well.  Hate the nicotine for making you feel this way. Stop wanting nicotine in your life.  Put the blame where it belongs.... on your dearly departed friend, the cigarette. Stop missing it, stop grieving its loss. it was no friend.. quite the opposite. Nicotine altered your mind and gave you the  illusion that cigarettes gave you pleasure, clarity,and  confidence,  In reality, it did nothing for you but cost you $$$$ and poor health.  Be free of the desire for it and you will become a  Happy Non-Smoker.    A reverse of how the habit came to be. . Think about this. Believe it.  What do you have to lose but the cravings?
    So thankful to have broken free. May all the Smokers in the World find there freedom too. 

These are my opinions, belief and experience. Other views are welcome here. Don't forget to introduce yourselves to me and others on my new thread in Welcome. 

18. brieffree
    brieffree avatar
    1477 posts
    28 Nov 2017
    17 Nov 2018
    Link to this post
    Hi Shazzan

I was following your quit! and let me tell you, you are in the right way to freedom!
    As you post, you quit before and relapse, keep the good work and confidence, enjoy every moment of Freedom to continue in your quit Zone!

That is true we broke a relationship with it!We cut the relationship with Smoking!
    We did not need to cut the relationship with all the world! We quit for our self, for the right to Brief, to live, to have power to work, to clime stairs, etc.....

Happy Happy smoke free Journey!      
  19. shazzan
    shazzan avatar
    140 posts
    06 Nov 2018
    17 Nov 2018 in reply to brieffree
    Link to this post
    Thank you so much Brieffree

I see many here determined to be free, but none as determined and so supportive as you. Yes i have tried to quit a couple of times a few decades ago. (and failed miserably) Kudos to those who persist and have the grit to try again and again.  I was lucky this time around. Lucky, determined and ready. I think that is key.

Keep the inspiration going Brieffree.   I do so believe that soon it will be your turn to truly be free.
19 posts, 0 answered