8 year rant

5 posts, 0 answered
  1. kwquitter
    kwquitter avatar
    8 posts
    28 Nov 2017
    22 Sep 2019
    Link to this post
    Just checked my stats. Hard to believe it’s been 8 years since my last smoke.  I can remember those cravings and saying to myself ,”I can’t do this”. It would have been easy to quit quitting. However I did anything I could not to give in. Chewed gum, ate nuts, walked the dog, got a prescription for Champix…etc. It was tough but if you want something bad enough you have to persevere. For those of you who are early in your quit just persevere. Trust me, the cravings do get less intense and farther apart and eventually disappear. Hours turn into days. Days turn into weeks. Weeks turn into months and months turn into years.
    The key to staying smoke free is to get through all those occasions where you had a smoke without having a smoke. After that big dinner, celebrating a birthday, getting up in the morning, before going to bed etc. etc. I smoked for over 40 years. As of today 73,050 cigarettes have not gone through my lungs. Not sure where I would have been with my life had I not quit. It’s gratifying to be in control of your life and not have it dictated by a rolled up 4” piece of paper filled with tobacco. The benefits of being smoke free are enormous!! Just believe in yourself and before you know it you’ll be celebrating a milestone you can be proud of!!

…Kwquitter
  2. grace, quit coach
    grace, quit coach avatar
    22 posts
    13 Jun 2019
    22 Sep 2019 in reply to kwquitter
    Link to this post
    Congratulations kwquitter! What an accomplishment and an inspiration to others. I wonder how many cravings came and went in that time? For sure something that all quitters have in common is having distanced themselves enough from the cravings to recognize they come and go and life keeps going, no matter how bad they get. Thank you for sharing.

Grace
  3. atp
    atp avatar
    501 posts
    31 Dec 2018
    23 Sep 2019 in reply to kwquitter
    Link to this post
    Kwquitter,

It's reading posts from long time quitters that really drive home the value of quitting to me. 

"Not sure where I would have been with my life had I not quit" - wow, that really says it all. While still smoking I found that i tended to want to tune out the true costs in terms of money and health effects of smoking, never-mind thinking about worse. But now that I have quit (almost 9 months now) I am thinking about the savings and I am thinking about my health.

Congrats on 8 years smoke-free. 
  4. treepeo
    treepeo avatar
    832 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    25 Sep 2019
    Link to this post
    Hi kwquitter,

Congratulations on being a non-smoker for 8 years.  WooHoo!  Way to go!

Like you, I remember when smoking completely ruled my life.  I smoked before and after every meal.  I smoked to celebrate good times, and smoked when things got tough.  Now, all of that has changed. 

I love being able to go out for dinner and not having to excuse myself so I can go out and smoke.  I don't freak out when I have to travel, because I know I can hang around in an airport without suffering any cravings.  I know I smell fresh and clean.  I don't worry any more about having smoke breath.  And my fingers aren't stained yellow, either.  They are a normal colour.  Oh, the joys of being a non-smoker!

It's astonishing how many cigarettes you would have smoked if you hadn't quit when you did.  I am sure your lungs are truly grateful to you for making the effort to quit.  Good for you!
  5. lscianname
    lscianname avatar
    15 posts
    23 Sep 2019
    09 Oct 2019
    Link to this post
    Wow ! Wahat inspiration kwquitter!
    I cannot wait for the day where i can say i have been free for 8 years! I am almost thru my 1st month and i feel so good! I wake up in the morning happy and cheerful that i am free! I have more energy,  no longer wheezing and most importantly, i feel confident and not ashamed. 

Thank you for sharing your story.

5 posts, 0 answered