Forums / Welcome / Sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Sick and tired of being sick and tired.

8 posts, 0 answered
  1. barbie-q
    barbie-q avatar
    1 posts
    31 Jan 2018
    31 Jan 2018
    Link to this post
    Hi everyone, my name is Barbra. This is my first day of quiting smoking. I plan on going to the pharmacy tomorrow and buying some help aids. Any suggestions?  I am a heavy smoker. I smoke over 2 packs a day. I have a very addictive personality. I am also an anxiety sufferer. I have panick attackes also. I have been having numbness in my right leg and they can not seem to find the cause. Doctors have ruled out my heart as the cause. I'm thinking Nicotine could very well be the reason I have this issue. O.K. I introduced myself and I would be very receptive to any advice. Thank you in advance for your kind consideration..
  2. lillian, quit coach
    lillian, quit coach avatar
    216 posts
    28 Nov 2017
    31 Jan 2018 in reply to barbie-q
    Link to this post
    Hi Barbie-q,

Welcome to the community.

Firstly, just wanted to touch on some of the questions you had.

It is always, always a good idea to talk to your health care professionals and obtain their advice and recommendation on the best either prescription or nicotine replacement to use. Another resource is your pharmacist, at least one who knows you and your health conditions.

Nowadays, many who smoke as you do  will use a combination of products to help. For example, they may use the patch with Zyban and lozenges. Again, that is another reason to discuss it with your doctor or health care provider, as you don't want to use too much or the wrong combination.

There are some things to consider with the products, here is just one example of that.
    The patch is something you put on and the idea is to let it do what it needs to and try to distract yourself and get on with your day. With the other nicotine replacements, you use them when you need them to combat cravings. Some prefer this as it means you are in charge of the amount of nicotine you use but others like that the patch is leveling them off and the cravings are at a more manageable level than without and that they don't have to worry about nicotine levels...So, it is a personal preference too, which do you think is better for you?

You can also call us at the helpline and we can share some more things to consider in order to narrow down the right choice for you.

There is a lot of information on this site, so have a look through the site, I am sure you will find it helpful. The more information the better. I am so glad you reached out today. I am sure the community will add more to this for you to consider but this is a great first step Barbie-q!

Welcome,
    Lillian
  3. treepeo
    treepeo avatar
    832 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    31 Jan 2018
    Link to this post
    Hi Barbie-q,

So glad you joined us and have decided to quit smoking.  Quitting smoking is definitely one of the best things you could do for yourself.  I quit cold turkey so I can't really recommend any products for you, but if you read the posts on this site, you will learn what has worked for other people and what has not.  But like Lillian said, you should really speak to your doctor as well, or at the very least, your pharmacist.  They might be able to suggest NRTs that would work particularly well for you.

Let us know how it goes, Barbie-q.  We are all here to help each other.
  4. dedi
    dedi avatar
    49 posts
    29 Jan 2018
    31 Jan 2018
    Link to this post
    Hi,  my name is Diane,i decide to come see here because ilm the only one on the French Site..lol my english is not very good but i just want let you know i quit smoking January 11, i use patchs 15 mg NicoDerm,because my pharmacist told me the 21mg are to strong for me, for a fews days my body hurt so bad and i was soooo tired ..but today i started multivitamin and i feel better..but i  hope tomorrow will be a good day to because its not easy ...and i quit my pop too a month ago so less sugar in my body...i hope its that why i have all thise side effects...sorry for my poor english 
  5. ocean
    ocean avatar
    286 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    31 Jan 2018
    Link to this post
    Hi Barbie and Diane,
    I quit 2 weeks ago and I see someone for free at our local Heart Institute once a month.  They were able to give me lots of options on products.  It was suggested I use 2 x 21 mg. Patches, but I opted for 1 which I only wear during the day, but I also supplement with spray or gum when I have a bad craving, or during traditionally hard parts of the day when I really suffered on past quit attempts.  I think it's trial and error for a while, and doses or products may change as you figure out what works.  I've been able to cut down on the gum, or spray and didn't even need it today.  I like the flexibility of this arrangement.  I also know that I have a hard time around 2 to 3 months in and relapse a lot.  So this way I've got something fast to use if I get one of those out of the blue craves or urges down the road.  Good luck to you, and I hope you check out some of the face to face community centres that can provide with with free supplies to test as you try them out.
    Sincerely,
    Ocean
  6. dedi
    dedi avatar
    49 posts
    29 Jan 2018
    31 Jan 2018 in reply to ocean
    Link to this post
    Thank you Ocean and congratulation for your 2 weeks, and no itsnot easy but îm very proud of me...3 weeks
  7. dedi
    dedi avatar
    49 posts
    29 Jan 2018
    01 Feb 2018
    Link to this post
    Goog morning...yesterday was a good day but today will be a sick day again,my stomach hurt little bit and i feel weak and my body shake...dawn tired of that..try to relax and do the breathing respiration but a just feel to cry....why one day i am ok and the next one sick?
  8. sarah, quit coach
    sarah, quit coach avatar
    222 posts
    28 Nov 2017
    01 Feb 2018
    Link to this post
    Hello & welcome dedi to the English forums - happy to have you here!
    Certainly the title of the thread, "Sick & tired of being sick & tired" can be so true for many people quitting smoking. It can be part of the frustration while going smoke-free: as you said, dedi, one day goes well and the next you're feeling crappy.
    is there anything you can do to help some of the symptoms? Do you get any relief from some self-care? Many of our community members have explored different strategies that can help address how you're feeling....any suggestions?
    All the best to you!
    Sarah
8 posts, 0 answered