I QUIT

14 posts, 0 answered
  1. sleeplessmom
    sleeplessmom avatar
    6 posts
    25 Jul 2019
    24 Jul 2019
    Link to this post
    Hi friends...am trying this quit thing once again....uggggh....I haven't smoked since the birth of my grandaughter July 22nd, 2019...she is the first for my son...#3 for me...I am at the end of 12 weeks of champix and finally desided to make that quit date...doing not too bad but have my moments....I think I can, I think I can   :)  ... well off to bed for me, another one bites the dust
  2. treepeo
    treepeo avatar
    832 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    24 Jul 2019
    Link to this post
    Hi sleeplessmom,

Good for you for taking the plunge.  You are probably as ready as you're going to be at this point. Now is your time to shine.

Drink lots of water to help rid your body of toxins.  Keep busy, do things to distract yourself.  Maybe try changing some of your routines.  And think of all the reasons why you want to quit.

You can do this, sleeplessmom.  Hang tough, you're worth it!
  3. sleeplessmom
    sleeplessmom avatar
    6 posts
    25 Jul 2019
    25 Jul 2019 in reply to treepeo
    Link to this post
    Thank you treepeo...i seem to remember you from the last time i tried to quit....I was having trouble to set that quit date...got hung up at 3 days and smoked...well this time i made it :)  Im on day 4 today and honestly don't feel too bad....I really feel my time is mine ...I've smoked over a pack for 44 years too many...wow...today i can breathe so much better...Well off for a bit....nice to see ya again....get use to seeing me  lots on here...have a great day
  4. atp
    atp avatar
    501 posts
    31 Dec 2018
    25 Jul 2019 in reply to sleeplessmom
    Link to this post
    Hi Sleepless Mom,

Congrats on taking the plunge and going all in on a quit. It's funny how we finally get to a point that we know we are going to quit, and it somehow becomes easier. 

I tried to quit so many times over 30 years and usually relapsed somewhere between day 3 and 6. So this time when I hit day 7 I was thrilled. And yes it somehow felt different for me too on this last quit. 

By day 4 the nicotine is out of your system! 

Keep your focus, keep distracted and take some time and do a good cleaning of your place to get rid of all smoking related stuff.
  5. madeleine, quit coach
    madeleine, quit coach avatar
    33 posts
    12 Sep 2018
    25 Jul 2019
    Link to this post
    Hey sleeplessmomm! 

Congrats on your quit and on the birth of your granddaughter! 

Treepeo and Atp mentioned some great suggestions to help with cravings that are part of the 4Ds: 

- Delay: the cravings normally go away after 5 or 10 minutes if we manage to delay! 
    - Distractions: It's helpful to have a list of distractions that take 5 or 10 minutes to help us stay busy and keep our mind off the cravings! 
    - Deep breathing: inhale count to 5, exhale count to 7 - repeat a few times to help calm. 
    - Drink Water to help mimic that hand to mouth motion and to flush the body out! 

If you would like some additional support, you're welcome to give us a call at 1-877- 513-5333! 

Keep it up! 

Madeleine 
    Last modified on 25 Jul 2019 20:46 by madeleine, quit coach
  6. sleeplessmom
    sleeplessmom avatar
    6 posts
    25 Jul 2019
    27 Jul 2019
    Link to this post
    Hi friends...Thank you for the responses, very good info there...I do use the smokers call support....nice to chat to live person for encouragement...today it's almost 6 days smoke free...longest time for me yaaah...I keep telling myself I'm a non smoker but of course the other shoulder is fighting a bit but I'm trying hard...keep thinking i quit for my grandaughter who was born July 22 ...well off to bed...another one bites the dust....have a great nite
  7. sleeplessmom
    sleeplessmom avatar
    6 posts
    25 Jul 2019
    27 Jul 2019
    Link to this post
    Uggg :(  kinda disapointed today...I calculated my days not smoking wrong....thought today was 6 days since I quit on July 22...I counted that day as 1...oh well today is day 5....gotta get over that cause I made it past day 3 days which was where I always smoked...considering how long I smoked (45 yrs) and the addiction, I'm doing fantastic!!!  Love reading everyones posts....hope I'm doing this forum posting correctly...well my day is just starting and I need a nap....bwa haa...see y'all soon
    Last modified on 27 Jul 2019 11:16 by sleeplessmom
  8. sarah, quit coach
    sarah, quit coach avatar
    222 posts
    28 Nov 2017
    27 Jul 2019
    Link to this post
    Well a very happy day 5 to you, sleeplessmom- 5 days smoke-free is worth celebrating! yay! great to hear your enthusiasm and positivity.... get some good rest, and its a new day tomorrow.
    Happy (smoke-free) weekend to you all!
    Sarah
  9. sleeplessmom
    sleeplessmom avatar
    6 posts
    25 Jul 2019
    27 Jul 2019 in reply to sarah, quit coach
    Link to this post
    Thank you Sarah....have a great weekend as well
  10. treepeo
    treepeo avatar
    832 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    27 Jul 2019
    Link to this post
    Hi sleeplessmom,

You are doing great!  5 days is significant, and tomorrow is a new day.  I say every moment that you don't smoke is a victory, so you should be really proud of yourself.  Keep up the good work, and remember NOPE - Not One Puff Ever.
  11. sleeplessmom
    sleeplessmom avatar
    6 posts
    25 Jul 2019
    30 Jul 2019
    Link to this post
    Hi friends....uggh I'm disappointed in myself.....made 6 days (longest time for me)  I can't explain what happened but it was pretty stressful.....my bad but I'm on it once again, last smoke was yesterday...I hope  can stay strong....thanx for reading
  12. treepeo
    treepeo avatar
    832 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    30 Jul 2019
    Link to this post
    Hi sleeplessmom,

You may have slipped, but you are back at it again, which is the important thing.

Stress is often a trigger for people, so you have to figure out how to handle it without smoking.  In fact, you have to learn how to do virtually everything all over again, without resorting to smoking.  That is a really hard part of the quitting process.

Take a look at your non-smoking family members and friends.  How do they handle different situations?  You might be able to learn a thing or two from them.

For me, the most important thing was to keep busy and distracted.  I did whatever I could so as not to think about it.  I know it's hard, but it is doable.  And when you do things that are enjoyable, tell yourself that you are rewarding yourself for not smoking.  Any and all positive reinforcement is valuable.

You are strong enough to do this, sleeplessmom.  Believe in yourself and make it happen.  I am rooting for you!
  13. atp
    atp avatar
    501 posts
    31 Dec 2018
    31 Jul 2019 in reply to sleeplessmom
    Link to this post
    Slips happen. No big deal and you got right back to your quit. 

Treepeo is bang on with her advice. 

I did the cold turkey quit and as I got close to a week I started to value my quit. I didn't want to go through all the withdrawal again! I spent a lot of time talking out loud to myself about the reasons to keep my quit, about how much better I felt, anything and everything to convince myself to keep away from smoking. 

Dig deep and find your willpower. You know you want to quit. 
  14. jenna c, quit coach
    jenna c, quit coach avatar
    58 posts
    29 Nov 2018
    31 Jul 2019
    Link to this post
    That's ok sleeplessmom. So you had a slip, that's normal but what you are doing is not giving up. We still consider that you have quit for 7 days!  Most importantly, you rebounded quickly and are
    staying very determined to quit!

Like the other members of the forum have said that stress is one of the most common triggers.

You may want to try the following to manage stress:
    -deep breathing exercises 
    -progressive muscle relaxation
    -phoning a friend
    -going for a walk to clear your head
    -mindfulness exercises
    -watching a comedy

We are all rooting for you sleeplessmom.

Jenna C

14 posts, 0 answered