Can i do it?

7 posts, 0 answered
  1. coryfalk
    coryfalk avatar
    3 posts
    01 Mar 2018
    28 Feb 2018
    Link to this post
    Hello...I am very addicted to smoking and feel I have no chance of quitting...in saying that I have never tried actually asking for help or support , I love and hate smoking, I am finally feeling more hate  than love though.  I just want to enjoy this upcoming summer without this gorilla on my back....wish me luck
  2. coryfalk
    coryfalk avatar
    3 posts
    01 Mar 2018
    28 Feb 2018 in reply to coryfalk
    Link to this post
    I am so ready to be a non smoker and yet my addiction seems to have complete control over me, I do have nicorette gum although I am not sure how tomorrow will go
  3. dedi
    dedi avatar
    49 posts
    29 Jan 2018
    28 Feb 2018
    Link to this post
    Hi coryfalk, welcome with us and yes you can do it, one day at the time...49 days for me and im very proud of me..
  4. marianne, quit coach
    marianne, quit coach avatar
    278 posts
    30 Nov 2017
    28 Feb 2018
    Link to this post
    Hello Coryfalk,

Welcome to our community!  And truly appreciate your honesty.  It makes sense how you explained the love/hate connection to smoking.  And when you have reached the place where you dislike smoking more as you have, this sets the stage for change to happen.  Your motivation to be "free" is so powerful. 

Keep continuing to reach out to all the supports available to you.  Using nicorette gum will certainly help.  Anything else you have on your quit plan?  Perhaps you can share any fears or challenges you foresee?  We can be there for you through these moments, building skills and a new mindset.  

Wishing you the very best tomorrow and the days to come!  

Marianne
    Last modified on 28 Feb 2018 23:09 by marianne, quit coach
  5. treepeo
    treepeo avatar
    832 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    01 Mar 2018
    Link to this post
    Hi coryfalk,

I understand your love/hate relationship with smoking.  As addicts, it feels good to smoke.  And we associate smoking with so many good things, because most of us have smoked all of our lives.  But smoking is just that, an addiction.  Feeling "good" is just an illusion.  In fact, smoking kills us day by day, moment by moment.  It truly sucks the life out of us.

The good news is that you can change all of that, but you have to prepare for the changes that you will have to make.  The more prepared you are, the more successful you are likely to be.

I would suggest that you call the helpline here.  The quit coaches are former smokers so they know what you are going through.  And they also know how best to help you prepare for and keep your quit.  There is nothing to worry about, coryfalk.  There is no one to judge you here.  We all know how hard this process is, and the only thing we want to do is to help each other.  Why not give it a chance?  You have nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

Believe in yourself, because you really can quit.  You have to set your mind to it, and follow some simple (sometimes not so simple) rules.  For example, you should try to avoid triggers, such as hanging around other smokers, even if they are your family and friends, which most likely they are.  You will have to change some of your routines.  You will have to distract yourself, and drink lots of water.  And you may have to use one or more NRTs.  But all of that is worth it if you ultimately quit smoking.

Coryfalk, I quit about 14 months ago and I can honestly say that my life is so much better now, it's incredible.  When I first started out, I wasn't at all sure I could do it, but with the help of the people on this site, I did it, and man, am I ever glad I did!  It is hard to describe how free I feel now.  I mean, I was so addicted that smoking really ruled my life.  It had an effect on my work, my dinners out, my socializing, my travel.  My first thought was always, "How long will I have to wait until I can have my next cigarette?"  That was my overriding concern.  Now, it doesn't even cross my mind.  I can't believe how much I value the freedom of no longer being addicted to smoking.  Honestly, it is so liberating!

Please give yourself this chance, Coryfalk.  You deserve to live a long, happy, smoke free life.  And you can make it happen for yourself.  Have faith, and believe!
  6. coryfalk
    coryfalk avatar
    3 posts
    01 Mar 2018
    01 Mar 2018 in reply to marianne, quit coach
    Link to this post
    One of my fears is that any kind of stress will cause me to fail, I actually managed to work all day without a smoke, I broke down and had 1 after work, now I am fighting the urge to light another one, I feel like a failure but I am really trying to praise myself for making it through work today, I am definitely experiencing withdrawal symptoms.   I feel very confused and even a little emotional dealing with things today, this has to be the the start of the road to quitting right? Even though I had 1 smoke?
  7. marianne, quit coach
    marianne, quit coach avatar
    278 posts
    30 Nov 2017
    01 Mar 2018
    Link to this post
    Hello Coryfalk,

You did great today!  We don't see failure and you certainly should not.  You had a mere slip while you trying to deal with things today and coping with withdrawal.  Mixed emotions are part of the quit journey.  So you are on the right road.  Hope knowing this brings you some clarity as can be more stressful to feel confused.  

Thank you for opening up about your fear.  It is so important to identify as when not aware or hidden, it can have more power.  So if stress worries you, how can you turn those thoughts around when you feeling stressed?  What could be your go-to things in these moments?  Think of things that bring comfort and ease.  Something to look forward to after work?  

Are you or do you have any plans to use any smoking cessation aids?  

Treepeo explained their experience so well, knowing that others really can relate to you will really help a lot.  Reach out by telephone to us as well at 1-877-513-5333.   

Hope you are getting some good rest, taking each day at a time.  You fought through today and you will continue to find strength that you never knew you had.  

Marianne
7 posts, 0 answered