Forums / My journey / I hope this helps someone.

I hope this helps someone.

17 posts, 1 answered
  1. fenceguy06
    fenceguy06 avatar
    2 posts
    06 Jan 2020
    05 Jan 2020
    Link to this post
    I'm a contractor and work outdoors. I can smoke whenever I like . I had smoked since 16, and decided to quit. i felt good just I couldnt control the amount smoked. it was getting out of hand at around 1.5 to 2 packs a day. tried the patch, zyban etc over the years with minimal success. so I decided to try something new. I went on lowest dose patch, and bought a vape with medium level nice in it. the patch took care of the physical and the vape took care of the mental aspect. after 2 months I stopped the patch. then every week I'd lower the dose in my juice till I was off nicotine altogether. 1 month later I stopped the vape. heres the thing. as soon as I stopped all nic I started having random heart palpitations and anxiety issues. went on anxiety meds and they stopped. after cardiologist appts, stress tests, hospital visits cuz I was sure I was a goner. long story short nicotine is a crutch we use to help deal with stress ,anxiety, sadness etc. taking it away and my body couldn't cope. I should add I'm 45 right now, lots of life to live. it's been 2 years now as of january 4th. smoke free. not 1 puff. I did try some weed when it was legal, coughed my ass off like never before but it didnt set me off. I still miss it, but its easier now to shoo that thought away. coffee doesnt taste as good, beers not the same with the guys but I feel great. trying to lose the weight now gained. it was the hardest thing I ever did but I did it. my kids say they're proud of me and that is my reward. any coughing I used to do is non existant, headaches gone, taken 2 years but my blood pressure is coming down closer to normal. if I can offer any advice it's this...get a vape, low dose nice for a few months only and go to doctors for low dose anxiety depresson meds ahead of time. so are yourself the year of cardiologist and hospital visits where they say your fine, then you go home and your heart palmitate. ask away if you have any questions guys
  2. efram, quit coach
    efram, quit coach avatar
    235 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    07 Jan 2020 in reply to fenceguy06
    Link to this post
    No questions from me, but I wanted to offer my heart-felt congratulations, fenceguy06, on over 2 years smoke-free! I'm so glad that you're noticing so many significant benefits from quitting.  

Everyone is different, and there's no right or wrong way to quit. Most important is to do like you did: keep trying, be open to trying something new, and don't give up! 
  3. unhingedgroup
    unhingedgroup avatar
    2 posts
    09 Jan 2020
    09 Jan 2020 in reply to fenceguy06
    Link to this post
    Thank you for your post. I am on day 3 and need all the support that I can get :-) I keep tying to quit and keep relapsing. I am 38 and smoked since 18. A couple of years ago I quit for a half a year but went back to finish my masters and relapsed. Last time I tried to quit mid November - lasted about three weeks. Each time going cold turkey. I am not sure how to have a beer without a cigarette. I definitely can go a month without a beer but there are so many reasons to celebrate :-)  I did manage the coffee part, need help with tolerating alcohol without relapsing. Thank you 
  4. jenna lee, quit coach
    jenna lee, quit coach avatar
    265 posts
    28 Jun 2018
    09 Jan 2020 in reply to unhingedgroup
    Link to this post
    hi unhingedgroup,

It is so great that you keep trying to quit and have had pretty successful ones.You have the advantage of knowing what your trigger is (beer), which is helpful because now you can plan for it.

I am sure others can give their two cents on how they have managed this craving. Here are some ideas that others like yourself have tried:

a) change the brand of beer
    b) change to a different alcohol
    c) avoid beer
    d) use a quit aid
    e) keep drinking beer but learn to dis-associate smoking with drinking

These are not mutually-exclusive ideas, so just keep trying until you succeed!

Hope this helps,

Jenna Lee
  5. khick77
    khick77 avatar
    31 posts
    21 Dec 2019
    27 Jan 2020
    Link to this post
    If you are going to drink beer try the inhaler or the vaper just don't put the nicotine in them it will help with the cravings. Will the hand to mouth thing like we do with the smokes or just holding them that might help you. I know that I do need coffee in the morning and I am getting used to not having the smoke in my hand when I have the coffee the inhaler and the patches are working for me right now I hold the inhaler in my hand and when I do need the little extra help I will have it in my mouth then if I really need it I know that I can puff on it 
  6. jenna lee, quit coach
    265 posts
    28 Jun 2018
    27 Jan 2020 in reply to khick77
    Link to this post
    Great idea Kim!

So you are saying to just hold the inhaler without the nicotine cartridge in your hands and puff on air through it. People also like to do this with a straw if they do not have the nicotine inhaler on hand. 

The one thing I do want to share is that the inhaler is not intended to be used at the same time as you consume alcoholic beverages such as coffee and/or alcohol as they can prevent it from working properly.

Congratulations to both of you on your progress, you have great questions here about common triggers and I am sure a lot of other people on the site are having the same struggles,

Jenna Lee
  7. frieda
    frieda avatar
    9 posts
    10 Jan 2018
    06 Mar 2020 in reply to jenna lee, quit coach
    Link to this post
    Hey, I like the straw idea! Going to try that. I have the Nicorette inhaler but really miss “puff”. Good idea.
  8. want2livelong
    want2livelong avatar
    18 posts
    22 Feb 2020
    21 Mar 2020 in reply to fenceguy06
    Link to this post
    Congrats fenceguy06! I love your story. I think it is so important to address the mental health aspect of why we smoked, what it 'seemed' to do for us. You have provided us with such inspiration and I thank you for your honesty about vaping. It's been helpful for me as well to vape now and then - and I'm finding that I am less interested in the vape as time goes by. I'm still using the patch and gum - here and there. On day 30. Still some difficult moments, I'm not gonna lie, but I am distracting myself to get through it. I think it is admirable to be able to remain smoke-free despite working in an industry that may normalize smoking (ie: construction). Well done! I have always had to hide my smoking habit in my profession, but that still didn't stop me from smoking. Happy I don't have to hide out in the bushes anymore. Hahaha. Take care.
  9. brieffree
    brieffree avatar
    1477 posts
    28 Nov 2017
    28 Mar 2020
    Link to this post
    Hi Everyone

I like to share with you, almost 5 years ago, I had to quit or else!

I quit cold turkey, then the problem begins.. after weeks, I was desperate, I was having my life against me! Then, I had the luck to find this site and support me along my Journey! I am sure I had sleep and relapse more times than I even remember. Until, one day I figure that I can do it without support, I use the Quit Mist, when I need it.

Sometimes more or less, but I learn that my addiction is so high and I maybe need support for longer time. Is for sure No more Smoke into my Lungs.

I am so exited  until June 7 I will Celebrate 5 years since I quit! My life change complete, I smell great, I ate healthy, I exercise, and I am learning how to be more in control and peace with me!

No matter what you do Smoking is not the solution.  
  10. efram, quit coach
    efram, quit coach avatar
    235 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    30 Mar 2020 in reply to brieffree
    Link to this post
    Hi Folks,

Just had to pop in here to say congratulations to brieffree!!!!! Nearly 5 years, how awesome! We are thrilled for you, especially knowing how this has changed your life in so many ways for the better!! 

Thank you for the support and the inspiration you give to our community. 
  11. kit12
    kit12 avatar
    27 posts
    28 Feb 2020
    30 Mar 2020 in reply to brieffree
    Link to this post
    CONGRATULATIONS brieffree. Almost 5 years! You helped me so much in the first few months of my quit- Thank you !

I am coming up to 5 months- still hard but each day it seems to get easier- cravings are far less !
    Kit12
  12. kit12
    kit12 avatar
    27 posts
    28 Feb 2020
    30 Mar 2020 in reply to want2livelong
    Link to this post
    Hi want2livelong-
    First time I have had a big smile in a couple days - this isolation is hard !You reminded me of all the times I would hide in bushes or crazy places just to have a smoke. Thank goodness- One Day at a Time I do not have to find these secret places to smoke ! OMG-what a relief !
    Kit12
  13. kit12
    kit12 avatar
    27 posts
    28 Feb 2020
    31 Mar 2020 in reply to unhingedgroup
    Link to this post
    Hi  unhingedgroup-

First couple months I REALLY MISSED the drag or haul/puff from a cigarette. Using a straw did not cut it for me- as I felt I was inhaling just air. I bought cinnamon sticks and put a tiny bit of kleenex in the end of the stick. I know it sounds crazy but it really felt like puffing on a cigarette- as well I would use the gum while puffing on the cinnamon stick. Sometimes I would have to put a tiny hole in the kleenex for some air- but for me it felt like I was still smoking.
    I know - sounds crazy but Im almost 5 months smoke free and for sure those cinnamon sticks did the trick for a couple months !   DAY # 3 is FANTASTIC !!!!
    Kit12
  14. brieffree
    brieffree avatar
    1477 posts
    28 Nov 2017
    01 Apr 2020 in reply to unhingedgroup
    Link to this post
    Hi unhigedgroup's

May be, helps to look back to the reason why you want to quit for good! The all you, those moments after hearting your self, those times when you couldn't sleep because the urge to fid your problem.
    Know, is time to see what is your Plan to quit, and review the steps.
    Take time, seat back to look at your behave and try to find a way to avoid those moments.
    No matter how, is your plan, what is working to stay free is worth it.

You are worth it!
    Believe in your potential to beat this problem!
    One day at the time, never give up!

All the best
  15. want2livelong
    want2livelong avatar
    18 posts
    22 Feb 2020
    06 Apr 2020 in reply to kit12
    Link to this post
    Hi kit12,
    thank you for mentioning that I put a smile on your face - it is quite funny to think of all of those moments of sneaking around - perhaps the risk-taker in me made that smoke even more adventurous. I don’t know why I didn’t try harder to quit before 14 years passed. I’m now on day 46 and I am enjoying the freedom of not having to find a place to smoke. I am happy to not smell like smoke anymore. That was always something that I was super self conscious about. Quitting should also save me a pretty penny in perfume!! Lol. Keep in touch. Your posts continue to motivate me. Cheers 
  16. eric123
    eric123 avatar
    4 posts
    08 May 2020
    09 Sep 2020 in reply to fenceguy06
    Link to this post
    just hoping to get reassured. I'm a landscaper and smoked only 4-5 packs a week on top of having asthma and cutting stone without a mask. I'm 5 months smoke free now after going through constant scares and hospital visits. coming up with nothing wrong. I'm positive when covid hit I started getting panic attacks on top of having anxiety about everything. I still can't get rid of the soar throat and chest pain with heart palpitation. aswell as having shortness of breath with asthma. none of this helps my anxiety. I'm going to be going on anxiety meds just hoping they work for everything. I don't crave smokes anymore. its everything else overwhelming me since I can't pinpoint the health issues. just need to know if the chest problems will go away sooner or later?
  17. jenna lee, quit coach
    265 posts
    28 Jun 2018
    Answered
    10 Sep 2020 in reply to eric123
    Link to this post
    Hi eric123,

First of all, congratulations on being 5 months smoke-free!

Sorry to hear about all the tests you are undergoing, but it is great you are following-up regarding your health concerns. While everyone is different, have a look at our webpage on the health benefits of quitting.

Wishing you all the best in your continued quit,

Jenna Lee
17 posts, 1 answered