Planning to quit

21 posts, 0 answered
  1. rodriguez
    rodriguez avatar
    12 posts
    02 Dec 2017
    05 Jan 2018
    Link to this post
    Hello, I am developing my quit plan and my quit date is Feb.1st. I have a lot of fear but realize this fear has kept me smoking this long. I am 40yrs old and started smoking when I was 15yrs old. I am going to use Champix and have the script ready to start taking it Jan.18th. I am going to use all the supports I can and walk through my fear with courage and hopefully some grace!
    Your quote goes here
  2. brieffree
    brieffree avatar
    1477 posts
    28 Nov 2017
    05 Jan 2018
    Link to this post
    Good Luck in your Quit

No fears about to quit! is all Good! believe it!
  3. treepeo
    treepeo avatar
    832 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    05 Jan 2018
    Link to this post
    Hi Rodriguez,

You are really smart to be working on your quit plan now.  That will help you a lot when you finally reach Day 1 of your quit.  The better prepared you are, the more likely you are to succeed.

I know the thought of quitting is scary, especially since you have been smoking for the last 25 years.  But as long as you really want to quit, you can do it. 

Take some time now to think of ways you can distract yourself when you start to have cravings.  Also, think about whether you are going to tell your family and friends you are going to quit, or whether you are going to wait on that until you have some smoke free days under your belt.  I think the more you deal with before you quit, the fewer things you will have to deal with when you actually start your quit, which is a good thing.

And remember Rodriguez, that we are all here for you, so post as often as you like.  There is usually someone around who can help you.  And if you have any specific questions or concerns, you can always call the helpline.  The quit coaches here are amazing!

Best of luck to you in this, your new journey!
  4. rodriguez
    rodriguez avatar
    12 posts
    02 Dec 2017
    05 Jan 2018 in reply to treepeo
    Link to this post
    Thanks so much for the feedback, makes me feel good that some people responded! I know I can’t do it alone. I have already told my friends, family and co-workers...trying to do it the opposite to how I’ve ever tried in the past. I never wanted anyone to know out of fear of failure and letting people down, I realize the more people I tell the more accountable I make myself. I also used to believe I had to do it cold turkey on my own and I know now I am worth asking for help and using a smoking cessation product if I choose]is okay as well. said:Hi Rodriguez,

You are really smart to be working on your quit plan now.  That will help you a lot when you finally reach Day 1 of your quit.  The better prepared you are, the more likely you are to succeed.

I know the thought of quitting is scary, especially since you have been smoking for the last 25 years.  But as long as you really want to quit, you can do it. 

Take some time now to think of ways you can distract yourself when you start to have cravings.  Also, think about whether you are going to tell your family and friends you are going to quit, or whether you are going to wait on that until you have some smoke free days under your belt.  I think the more you deal with before you quit, the fewer things you will have to deal with when you actually start your quit, which is a good thing.

And remember Rodriguez, that we are all here for you, so post as often as you like.  There is usually someone around who can help you.  And if you have any specific questions or concerns, you can always call the helpline.  The quit coaches here are amazing!

Best of luck to you in this, your new journey! 
  5. ocean
    ocean avatar
    286 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    06 Jan 2018
    Link to this post
    Hi Rodriguez,
    I'm fearful too and it looks like we'll be quit buddies as I'll be going smoke-free soon too.  I've really been taking my time to go smoke-free, a lot longer than you have, as I started working on this in October!  Lol!  But the fear is such a clinger, so that is what I've been working on most.  And I've gotten much less fearful as I've developed more confidence by trying to wean off and decrease my smokes successfully.  So do whatever you need to do, and develop that confidence by trial and error.  Fear sucks!  Take Care,
    Ocean

6. brieffree
    brieffree avatar
    1477 posts
    28 Nov 2017
    06 Jan 2018 in reply to ocean
    Link to this post
    I quit cold turkey

Life saved: 360 days 13 hours 20 minutes

Be strong, have a plan and get ready to say No More! That is all you need!
    Trust in your self, you can do it! No fears.

Only good thinks happen when you quit! No more smoke in your body, No more money waste, no more smell like crap and more...
  7. jennifer, quit coach
    jennifer, quit coach avatar
    103 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    06 Jan 2018
    Link to this post
    Good Evening rodriguez,

Great to see you here planning and preparing for your upcoming quit date! That preparing, setting up support and choosing a quit method is the best way we know of to increase your odds of quitting successfully! Awesome job!

Hope we'll see you here posting, know that we're here for you and rooting for your success!

8. rodriguez
    rodriguez avatar
    12 posts
    02 Dec 2017
    07 Jan 2018
    Link to this post
    Thanks so much everyone for the responses.... I do feel the closer I get to my quit date the more fear I’m feeling but I will persevere and not shut down right at the start line!!!! I want this and I have to keep reminding myself of that important information!
  9. marianne, quit coach
    marianne, quit coach avatar
    278 posts
    30 Nov 2017
    07 Jan 2018
    Link to this post
    Hello Rodriguez,

Completely normal to have stronger feelings as the quit date approaches.  Your determination and commitment will carry you.  Looking forward to hearing more of your plan and supporting you through.  

Feel free to share your thoughts around fear- anything specific you can pinpoint?  

Have a great week ahead!

Marianne
  10. treepeo
    treepeo avatar
    832 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    07 Jan 2018
    Link to this post
    Hi Rodriguez,

When I first started my quit, I was scared of failing, too.  But then I got excited, because I realized that I was doing something truly amazing with my life.  And I was determined to see it though, no matter what.

You are strong enough to do this, Rodriguez.  Believe in yourself, and know that you are stronger than your addiction.
  11. rodriguez
    rodriguez avatar
    12 posts
    02 Dec 2017
    08 Jan 2018 in reply to treepeo
    Link to this post
    I really appreciate all the responses and feedback....I think the fear is around the fact that I only know myself as a smoker as I cannot remember not smoking. It’s like a deep imbedded part of me that was just for me...like a best friend that I need to dissociate with now and it is so hard to say goodbye...I know it is an addiction and that it is harmful but I can’t help thinking that it helped me through a lot of hard times. I think I am going to write a break up letter, a goodbye letter of sorts and be really firm in the fact that I don’t want it knocking on my door or attempting to contact me again....I must choose myself in this relationship, no more selling myself short, putting up with the abuse, I a man worth so much more and I choose to love myself not something so dysfunctional and evil for lack of better words!
  12. marianne, quit coach
    marianne, quit coach avatar
    278 posts
    30 Nov 2017
    08 Jan 2018
    Link to this post
    Hello Rodriguez,

Thank you for explaining your fear.  Makes sense why you would feel this way, never having a memory as a non-smoker to reflect on.  Having the identity as a smoker for this long certainly makes it hard to separate from.  You are not alone in thinking of the cigarette as a friend as it has always been there - you associate many memories.  Your idea of writing a letter is very powerful.  I believe other members have done so.  Most recently a member wrote an apology to themselves which also carries such weight.  

I am sure our members have similar experiences they can share.  And if you feel so inclined, feel free to share some of that letter with us if you would like.  

Here for you on your journey as you take important steps to freedom.  

Marianne
  13. treepeo
    treepeo avatar
    832 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    08 Jan 2018
    Link to this post
    Hi Rodriguez,

I totally get what you are saying.  I always thought of myself as a "smoker's smoker".  That is, I could not imagine myself not smoking.  Smoking was just something I did all my life, and I could not remember what it was like not to smoke, either.

But you know what?  I have now been smoke free for just over a year, and the thought of going back to that way of life makes me cringe.  I see people smoking and I think, "I'm so glad that's not me any more."  There is such freedom in being a non-smoker.

I think it's a great idea to write a break-up letter.  It will help to identify all of the reasons why you want, and need, to quit.  And then you can look at it from time to time when you need a boost.
  14. rodriguez
    rodriguez avatar
    12 posts
    02 Dec 2017
    21 Jan 2018
    Link to this post
    So just a quick update...I started the Champix as planned on Wednesday and I think it is going to kick in sooner then later so my quit date may be before Feb.1st and for a awhile that was not ok in my brain but I now realize that would be great if it happens sooner. I have a huge list of tips and tools to use during cravings and different things to do with the time I will gain. I started exercising two days ago as I know I need this in my arsenal package as well. I still am very fearful but also excited that I soon will be able to call myself a non-smoker. 
    The two things I haven't done yet and I think they are really important is write my good-bye letter and call the quit line to speak with a quit coach....I don't know why I am dragging my heels on these important things so any encouragement would be appreciated...really though its up to me to just do it!
    I haven't responded too much to other people's posts as I don't quite feel qualified yet as I am still smoking. I do want to keep this community close. I also have another app on my phone that has a community on it as well so I have been on there as well.
    Thanks for all you non-smokers that continue to provide encouragement to newcomers like me. And of course a big thank-you to the quit coaches that continually post responses..very much appreciated.
  15. efram, quit coach
    efram, quit coach avatar
    235 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    21 Jan 2018
    Link to this post
    Hi Folks!

Rodriguez, thanks for the update. So nice to see that your excitement is growing!  

As for dragging your heels on writing that "Dear John" letter: it will happen when the time is right. A little journaling may help to get the creative juices flowing. When you're ready, it should come pouring out!

And the part about calling a quit coach? Well, to quote treepeo, "the quit coaches are amazing" (treepeo, thanks, right back atcha, and the check is in the mail!). Honestly, it is an inspiration for us to get to speak and work with people who are facing their fears head-on (or tiptoeing up to them sideways, either way!) and working on changes for the better. For the person making the call it can help to crystalize some aspects of quitting and to reinforce motivations by saying it all out loud. 

For those reading this who only know themselves as smokers, it can help to visualize what life will be like without cigarettes. What do you see?  

Finally, rodriguez, and others who are feeling some fear: take a couple deep breaths. You've got this. You're making one of the best decisions ever by deciding to quit smoking. You have support. You have a plan. You have yourself, most importantly. It was you who got yourself through hard times in the past, not a cigarette. There may be setbacks or bumps in the road ahead, but setbacks are not failures, and you will learn every step of the way.

Regards,
    Efram
    Last modified on 21 Jan 2018 20:55 by efram, quit coach
  16. treepeo
    treepeo avatar
    832 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    22 Jan 2018
    Link to this post
    Rodriguez, please feel free to respond to the posts you see here.  It doesn't matter if you are still smoking.  We all come here at different stages, and we can all learn from each other.  None of us is perfect.  We are human, and change is difficult.  If it were easy, we wouldn't need a forum like this.  But we do.  We need NRTs, we need support, we need guidance, and we need kindness.  We are not so strong alone, but together, the sky is the limit!

You have a great attitude, Rodriguez, and it is going to take you far.

I know you are younger than me, but even so, when you grew up, probably everyone smoked.  That's just what we did.  But that can change, and it IS changing.  Now, if you are a smoker, you are in the minority, and people look down on you.  As if we are not under enough pressure!  But we have to change with the times.  I have nieces and nephews, and great nieces and nephews.  And I need to set a good example.  And I am determined to do so.

I think that the older we get, the more we have to offer the world, because we have experience under our belts.  Use your own life experiences, Rodriguez, to get through this hurdle.  You CAN quit smoking, you really can.  Believe in yourself and make it happen!
  17. ocean
    ocean avatar
    286 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    23 Jan 2018 in reply to treepeo
    Link to this post
    Hey Rodriguez,  Good to hear from you again.  I only look to one part of a day at a time still (9 days in).  I think it helped when I was decreasing to focus on not cluster smoking, and put the cigarettes in the cupboard for an hour or so after every smoke.  I don't know, but now if I get a craving, I don't panic because I made myself used to prolonging it before I stopped.  Maybe you can try this approach and practice until your Champix kicks in?  My cluster times were in the morning with a few cups of coffee, then after work in the happy hour slot.  My NRT is so helpful and I don't feel stressed anymore with the morning and evening craves (former cluster times).  Wishing you well, Rodriguez.  You're killing it!  I had one bad crave today and used the Nicotine Mist and it did the trick!
    Ocean
  18. rodriguez
    rodriguez avatar
    12 posts
    02 Dec 2017
    25 Jan 2018
    Link to this post
    Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to respond! So to update you all....I had to stop taking the Champix yesterday, i realized I was feeling really mentally unstable, restless, agitated, thoughts running thousand miles a minute, heart beating really fast and it was day 6 of taking it and following the directions closely....so I am happy to say I listened to my instincts and before having a complete breakdown I chose to stop it. Still forging ahead with my quit and moved up my quit date from Feb.1st to Jan.27th as I do not want to lose momentum and that date has personal significance to me. So needless to say I am changing my plan a bit but I believe I need to be adaptable and think quick in this quit journey. So I have decided to finish reading Allen Carr's book which I had already started (I have read this in the past with no success but things are different this time), I have downloaded some hypnosis app, will continue with this forum and another forum I have been active in, I called the quit coach and it was extremely helpful and they will be calling me on my quit date and lastly I am going to use the program I used that has helped me get 51/2 years of clean time from another toxic substance I used in the past. I am treating this as another drug of choice that my disease of addiction has latched onto....it is addiction and I know recovery so I just need to want this like I wanted to keep clean from the other thing. Am I nervous...yes furshur but I know I can get through this with support! I also just want to say that this is just my experience and not everyone feels, reacts or goes through the same thing and I have to find what works for me and I respect and honour what works for everyone else.....as long as the road leads to a smokefree life we are on the right road!!
  19. jarekg
    jarekg avatar
    2 posts
    03 Jan 2018
    25 Jan 2018 in reply to rodriguez
    Link to this post
    I was also using Champix before and had the same side effects as you..
    this is when I stop taking Champix (it was few years back)...
    I'm 23 days on patch and gum and counting...

Last modified on 26 Jan 2018 11:25 by Quit Coach 7
  20. treepeo
    treepeo avatar
    832 posts
    29 Nov 2017
    26 Jan 2018
    Link to this post
    Hi Rodriguez,

I applaud you for all of the planning and thought you have put into this quit.  And I am glad you stopped taking Champix.  If you were experiencing all of those nasty side effects, it's just not worth it.  But you have other things in place to help you, and that should make up for it.

You are so right when you say you have to be adaptable and ready to change it up at the drop of a hat.  There were times when I realized that what I did the day before was not helping me the next day, and I had to quickly make some changes to get through the rough spots.  I am happy that you have several sources of support, because the more support you have, the better off you will be.

Having beat one addiction, you know that you can beat this one as well.  You can quit smoking, Rodriguez, and you will do it.  Believe in yourself.
  21. emily, quit coach
    emily, quit coach avatar
    247 posts
    28 Nov 2017
    26 Jan 2018
    Link to this post
    Hi Rodriguez,

Unfortunately, the medication can effect each person differently. It sounds like for you, the side effects did not outweigh the benefit of taking it.

It is good to hear all of the plans and supports you have in place for your upcoming quit. I'm sure it will all help.

Thank-you for keeping us posted. Look forward to hearing about your quit journey.
    Emily
21 posts, 0 answered