9 posts, 0 answered
  1. mak82
    mak82 avatar
    6 posts
    13 Dec 2021
    13 Dec 2021
    Link to this post
    Hello all! 
    It’s day one for me and I’m feeling extremely optimistic! I’ve been a smoker since I was 13 and quit once for 7 years in my 20’s. Now at almost 40 I’m ready to call it quits for good! 
    I was fortunate enough to be selected for the Stop On The Net program through Ontario health and received 2 months worth of patches for free as well as nicotine gum. I know I couldn’t do it cold turkey so this will help immensely. 
    Wishing you all the best of luck on your quitting journey! Cheers!! 
  2. cindydavis
    cindydavis avatar
    28 posts
    03 Dec 2021
    13 Dec 2021 in reply to mak82
    Link to this post
    Congratulations on your quit. You can do this. Ya I started at 13 as well. Now 52 and trying my hardest to quit this time. But as they say every time we try we learn enough to help us the next time.  I wish you the best.
  3. mak82
    mak82 avatar
    6 posts
    13 Dec 2021
    13 Dec 2021 in reply to cindydavis
    Link to this post
    Thanks so much!! You’re so right… we learn more each time. My Dad smoked till he was in his 50’s and quit cold turkey. It’s be almost 20 years for him and if he can do it I can too! 
  4. treepeo1
    treepeo1 avatar
    255 posts
    06 Feb 2020
    13 Dec 2021
    Link to this post
    Hi mak82,

It's great that you have decided to quit for good.  Take it one step at a time.  Do things to distract yourself, and drink lots of water to help remove the toxins from your body.  You will experience a little bit of pain for a lifetime of gain.  I am so glad you were able to get some free NRTs.  Hopefully, they will help you through the rough patches.  Best of luck on your journey to a smoke free life!
  5. dublinguy
    dublinguy avatar
    349 posts
    09 Dec 2021
    14 Dec 2021
    Link to this post
    Well done Mac and welcome online. The first few days are hard to get through because you are trying to break the habit and so many triggers u dont even realize come to light. You will get through it... keep posting and reading on here... it really helps.
  6. mak82
    mak82 avatar
    6 posts
    13 Dec 2021
    14 Dec 2021 in reply to treepeo1
    Link to this post
    Thanks so much for the support and tips! 
  7. mak82
    mak82 avatar
    6 posts
    13 Dec 2021
    14 Dec 2021 in reply to dublinguy
    Link to this post
    Thank you! I’m starting to see some of my triggers already. But I’m working through them. I’ve already warned my kids that I might be extra grumpy for the next week or so, so don’t take it personally lol. I really appreciate the support and will use this forum to help keep me on track :) 
  8. dublinguy
    dublinguy avatar
    349 posts
    09 Dec 2021
    16 Dec 2021
    Link to this post
    How are you getting on Mak82? Stay close to the boards and read read read. it really helps.
  9. mak82
    mak82 avatar
    6 posts
    13 Dec 2021
    16 Dec 2021 in reply to dublinguy
    Link to this post
    I’m doing ok thanks! I’ve been feeling the urge a lot, but use my gum when it gets to be too much. The first day was easy, but I forgot how hard it gets as the days go on. I know it will pass and I keep looking to the end goal of being done with this nasty habit for good! Thanks for checking in :) 
9 posts, 0 answered