Welcome to the Canadian Cancer Society’s Smokers’ Helpline Online, smokershelpline.ca / teleassistancepourfumeurs.ca (the “Website”). This is a non-commercial web site that offers free tools and information about quitting smoking and tobacco use. The Website also facilitates an environment in which people can share their experiences and build relationships that will support them in their efforts to quit smoking and tobacco use (the “Online Community”) moderated by Smokers’ Helpline Quit Coaches.
The Online Community’s aim is to provide a healthy, safe, and constructive environment for discussion, support and the exchange of information about quitting smoking.
Anyone can view content on the Website without registration. In order to contribute and interact, however, you will need to register. Registration is free. The Website is owned and provided by the Canadian Cancer Society (referred to herein as the “CCS” or the “Society”).Last Updated: August 1, 2016
- The Society takes its responsibility to keep your personal information private very seriously. The Smokers’ Helpline Online Privacy Statement is intended to help you understand how we collect, use and disclose your personal information, and to help you make informed decisions when sharing with the Online Community.
Eligibility to Contribute
- To participate and contribute to Smokers’ Helpline Online, you must be a registered user of the Website and reside in Manitoba, New Brunswick, Ontario, PEI, Saskatchewan or Yukon, Canada.
Rules of conduct in the Online Community
- Help us keep the Online Community a safe and comfortable place for everyone seeking and sharing information and support. The Society expects its community members to be respectful of others, even those whose views may differ from your own. If you disagree with someone, please express yourself respectfully. Remain courteous at all times.
- Remember that there are many ways to quit smoking, and everyone experiences quitting in different ways. Solutions and decisions that worked for you may not be suitable for others. Sharing your experience is helpful, but please try to avoid giving advice.
- You are responsible for everything you post. This includes all profile information, messages, pictures and other content that you post or upload to the Online Community.
- You agree that you will not:
- use this web site for any unlawful purpose
- impersonate any person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity
- post any defamatory, harassing, abusive, mean-spirited, obscene, profane, vulgar, sexually explicit, threatening, or illegal material, or any material containing blatant expressions of bigotry, racism or hate
- violate the property rights of others, and you agree not to post any content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights of any party
- upload files, or cause users to upload files, that contain viruses, worms, “Trojan horses”, corrupted files, or any similar software or programs that may adversely affect the operation of another’s computer
- advertise or promote any goods or services on the site. “Junk mail”, “spamming”, “chain letters”, “pyramid schemes” and similar activities are strictly prohibited
- solicit anyone to buy or sell products or services, without our express written approval
- violate any applicable local, provincial/territorial, national or international law in connection with the use of the site
- reveal personal information or identifiers about another person, as that may violate that person’s privacy
- use email accounts that hide the originating Internet Service Provider information (such as hushmail.com)
- “Harvest” email addresses from the Online Community (by copying them or otherwise obtaining them from the Online Community) for commercial or other non-Online Community related purposes
Moderation in the Online Community and termination
- The Online Community is often moderated by Smokers’ Helpline Quit Coaches who can answer questions, advance discussion, and provide support and encouragement. While the Society has no obligation to monitor or moderate the Online Community, we reserve the right to monitor and/or moderate any user content posted on the site and to remove or edit any content at our sole discretion without prior contact with the author.
If a formal complaint is made against you, your account will be reviewed and possibly suspended. It will only be reinstated if the complaint is resolved.
Copyright, third-party rights and licence
- You retain ownership of all content you post or upload to the Online Community but you agree to grant CCS perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive world-wide licence to reproduce, create derivative works from, adapt, publish and translate your entry or post on any media and you understand and acknowledge that CCS has no obligation to acknowledge you by name or pseudonym as the author of your content, or to ensure that you remain anonymous.
- You agree that you will not use the Online Community to post any copyright material or intellectual property that is not your own without the express permission of the copyright or intellectual property holder.
- You may add links to internal or external sites within your post but you agree to remain responsible for any links you add. We reserve the right to remove any links we consider inappropriate.
- If you post links to photos or upload an avatar, you must ensure you have the permission of the person who owns the photos as well as the permission of the people who are in the photos.
- The information, text, data or materials posted on the Website is intended for general information purposes only, and should not be construed as medical advice, medical opinion, diagnosis or treatment. Information posted on the Website does not replace your relationship with your health care provider(s). The information is for your general use, so be sure to talk to qualified health care professional before making medical decisions or if you have questions about your health.
- The Website and all of the information it contains is provided “as is” without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied. All implied warranties, including without limitation implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement are expressly disclaimed.
- The CCS tries to keep the Website and Online Community operational, bug-free, and safe, but you use it at your own risk. The Website may be unavailable periodically for scheduled maintenance or due to technical reasons beyond our control.
- CCS is not responsible for the actions, content, information or data of third parties, which includes you and any other registrants who post on the Online Community.
- CCS does not control external third party websites that may be linked from this site and is not responsible for their content. The inclusion of hyperlinks to such third party websites does not imply any endorsement of the material on such websites or any association with their third parties.
- With the exception of content submitted to the Online Community by other contributors, all intellectual property on this website, including by not limited to copy, official marks or trademarks, is owned by CCS. Copying or unauthorized of any such intellectual property without express consent of the Society is prohibited.
Limitation of Liability and Indemnity
- You agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless CCS (and its officers, employees, agents, mandataries and representatives) from and against all claims,
demands, obligations, losses, liabilities, costs or debt, and expenses (including but not limited to reasonable legal fees) arising from or relating to:
- your use of the Website;
- your violation of any third party right;
- any claim that any of your posts caused damage to a third party;
- and any claim you have against a third party.
- You agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless CCS (and its officers, employees, agents, mandataries and representatives) from and against all claims, demands, obligations, losses, liabilities, costs or debt, and expenses (including but not limited to reasonable legal fees) arising from or relating to:
- No failure by the Society or you to exercise any rights, powers or remedies hereunder or its delay to do so shall constitute a waiver of these rights, powers or remedies. The single or partial exercise of a right, power or remedy shall not prevent its subsequent exercise or the exercise of any other right, power or remedy.
When and how to contact us
You are also encouraged to contact us if you have any questions about the Website’s operation, or ideas about this site.
You may also contact Smokers’ Helpline for assistance modifying your communications preferences (i.e. opting-out of receiving emails, texts or calls) or to deactivate your Smokers’ Helpline Online account.