Healthcare & Partners
Providing Quit Support
Smoking cessation is your most powerful preventative health intervention. You can make a difference. Talk Tobacco can help.
Commercial tobacco contains nicotine, a highly addictive substance found naturally in tobacco. For those wanting to stop using commercial tobacco, it can be very difficult to overcome the nicotine addiction.
As a healthcare provider, allied health professional or service provider you:
- encounter people at "teachable moments" when they may be more inspired to make a change.
- are in a unique position to discuss quitting or reducing smoking or vaping with your Indigenous clients/patients.
Did you know that:
- Tobacco use is responsible for more than 45,000 deaths in Canada annually, and significant additional impacts on quality of life.
- Statistics Canada indicates that 3 in 5 people who smoke intend to quit in the next 6 months, yet only 3-5% are successful without assistance.
How do I discuss commercial tobacco cessation (smoking or vaping) with my client or patient?
Brief contact interventions can powerfully motivate patients or clients to make a quit attempt. Advice from a healthcare provider, allied health professional or service provider can increase success with quitting by up to 30%, and a referral to dedicated cessation services like those offered by Talk Tobacco can further improve those odds.
Talk Tobacco services can be used alone or as a seamless adjunct to clinical intervention.
Follow the 3 A's with every client:
about tobacco use at every visit "Have you used any form of tobacco in the last 7 days?"
your client to quit "Quitting smoking is the best thing you can do for your health."
for additional cessation support by completing and submitting the Talk Tobacco referral form online or by downloading the web-fillable form.
Talk Tobacco provides:
- Evidence-based, ongoing support for your client or patient at key times during the quitting process
- Tailored education on First Nation, Inuit, Métis and urban Indigenous cessation needs delivered by smoking cessation experts
- Access to nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) samples and coupons
- Access to the latest, innovative cessation programs
- Information about other resources in the community or region you serve.
- Customized webinars and presentations on Talk Tobacco services, smoking or vaping, discussing smoking or vaping with your Indigenous client/patient
Print: Download the referral form here, print, complete and email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to1-877-513-5334
Web fillable: Complete the form online here, save and email to email@example.com
Contact us to find out more by
Phone: 1 833 998-TALK (8255)
Live Chat: see live chat pop-up box on this page